Top Tips For Pre-Counseling Your Customers
Why is pre-counseling necessary
1. It helps to decide whether the customer can wear eyelash extensions
Pre-counseling also helps to prevent potential complications in advance. The final decision is something the salon and a lash artist have to make.
Explain to the customer in advance that there is always a possibility for complications, such as irritations and allergies. This way, your customer will be less likely to feel anxious when there is some itchiness or discomfort around her eyes, or when she experiences any other abnormalities.
Unawareness about possible problems might also cause customer's distrust toward your studio if she happens to be unlucky to experience such things.
Regardless of whether the customer is a first-timer or a repeat client, one's physical condition changes daily, and it will be different each time she comes to your lash studio. Always check the customer's physical condition before performing any treatment.
Furthermore, by explaining the process by each visit, the customer will remember to let you know how she feels during the treatment. This way, you will avoid causing her long-lasting discomfort. And you may even prevent negative feedback after the lash extension application process is over.
2. Pre-counseling will help you to understand the customers' wishes and makes communication easier
The only ones who can meet the customers' requests and expectations are the lash studio and its specialists.
Check to see whether the lash design and volume the customer wishes to create are feasible. Also, both parties need to understand whether the customer's request will truly look good on her.
Proceed with the treatment only when both parties can agree with every detail of the expected outcome. Specifications that only cover curl, thickness, and length of the lash extensions as standard is not enough. Even if the salon and the lash artist can visualize the final appearance, this does not necessarily mean that the customer will be picturing the same image.
Offering only a one-sided explanation will confuse the customer, which might lead her to leave the lash artist to make all decisions on her own. Although this may be ideal in case of a repeat customer who you know well, avoid this practice with customers who are new and who you need to learn to understand better.
3. Pre-counseling can help your lash studio to improve
Know your rivals and learn from them. It is vital to gather information about other salons actively and to know their procedures. The information gained from customers coming into your lash studio will be different and more useful than what you hear from other practitioners as it often contains essential clues gathered from an objective perspective.
Also, it is a good idea to listen carefully to your customer's comments and advice about how to improve your salon. Of course, you should not follow unreasonable requests or complicated orders, but always strive to reply positively.
Performing pre-counseling sessions
There are several aspects you will need to explain to the customer who will wear eyelash extensions for the first time.
Advantages of eyelash extensions:
NB! Not everyone can expect all the effects listed below.
- Make eyes appear more prominent.
- Make face appear slimmer.
- Make eyeliner and mascara unnecessary.
- Look incredibly natural, unlike false eyelashes.
- Last for a long time.
The possible disadvantages and risks of applying for eyelash extensions:
•After implementing a set of lash extensions, they need to be maintained every two to three weeks — and delicate care is necessary.
There is a risk of inflammation caused by the metallic sections of tweezers, as well as chemical and volatile substances included in tape, glue, and remover depending on the physical disposition and the skin condition of the customer.
• When you are counseling customers with sensitive skin, you should perform a test. Attach two to three strands of lash extensions on customer's eyelashes. This test will be an indicator for determining whether to proceed with the treatment or not. We recommend applying only a small number of eyelash extensions to avoid emergency trouble with a customer who has never had eyelash extensions before.
•Abstain from eyelash extension to customers who have experienced allergies due to eyelash extension from past, who have sensitive skin with allergic reactions when using cosmetic products, and strange reactions on the skin around the eyes.
•There are rare times when a customer may feel itchiness when her skin gets near the glue. In the case of such a situation, you should inform the person why you need to stop the treatment.
•If the lash stylist has little experience, she might have difficulties with communicating with her clients. In this case, use design books, photos, and pattern books to become skillful, and it is also good to decide a few types of basic designs to stick to, until feeling more comfortable and self-secure.
•Explain that the bonding life of eyelash extension depends on eyelash material, natural lash cycle, client's lifestyle, and current weather.
•Explain that the bonding life of eyelash extension also depends on length, thickness, and curl of the eyelash.
Have your questionnaire ready
Important information you should gather while booking an appointment
Start counseling already when you have a phone conversation with your customer before she comes to the store.
1. Is it her first time to wear eyelash extensions?
2. Is she pregnant?
3. Does she have any important events coming up (i.e., wedding)?
4. Has she had any plastic surgery in the past few months?
5. Is she currently seeing a doctor or take medicine?
6. Check whether she has any makeup applied when coming to the studio.
7. Check whether the customer wears contact lenses or not. If she does wear contact lenses, ask her to bring glasses and a contact lens case with her.
8. Create a home care instruction manual for customers for after-care.
9. Check whether the customer has had eyelash extensions done before.
If she does, depending on the state of the extensions, a result might be varied, or the durability of new lash extensions might decrease because of the reduced adhesive area.
Also, extremely damaged natural lashes due to the extensions, cause the new lashes to fall off faster. It is necessary to tell the customer that treatment may not be possible if she has had a strong curl of lash lift applied on her eyelashes.
10. Check whether the customer is currently wearing eyelash extensions or not. If she is wearing extensions that were applied at your salon, the expected time and price will depend on whether the extensions are to be removed or replaced.
If the customer is wearing extensions applied at another salon, inform her that the expected time and the price might vary likewise.
Additionally, inform her that depending on the glue that the other salon used, and it may not be possible to remove the extensions with your removers since the salon cannot be sure what kind of glue was used previously.
11. Check whether the customer is suffering from any eye disease.
If the customer is currently seeing a doctor because of eye disease or if there is a suspicion that she does, politely turn down the customer, stating that you need to avoid potential risks. Always decline treatment on customers with infectious diseases, to maintain the hygiene for salon staff members and other customers, it is an essential role of a salon.
*Wait with treating the customers who have had recent plastic eye surgery done on their eyes. That includes customers who are currently being treated, may need treatment, will soon receive LASIK eye surgery, or has had a LASIK eye surgery but is not fully recovered. Instead, ask her to wait a few months before getting lash extensions applied.
12. Check if the customer suffers from swollen eyelids (skin inflammation and allergies) due to the usage of cosmetics.
If the customer is currently experiencing an allergic reaction to cosmetics, but also from hay fever, or is physically unwell, ask her to postpone the appointment or decline the treatment.
We at BL Lashes hope that this little guide will help you with putting together a solid pre-counseling plan which will gain both you as a lash artist, and your customers.
Learn more about lash extension industry here:
Will the Eyelash Extension Market Continue to Grow?
5 Tips To Get You Started as a Lash Artist
Share These Secrets with your Lash Clients
Make sure to follow our Instagram for more inspiration: BL Lashes on Instagram